About Yeovil Town Council
On 3 July 1854, an Act of Parliament was passed which created a municipal borough in the Town of Yeovil. Under the Act, a burgess roll was prepared for the first municipal election of councillors to serve on the new Corporation, and the Mayoralty was established.
For over a century, the Town was administered by Yeovil Borough Council. This came to an end in 1974 when local government was re-organised and the Borough Council was abolished.
Between 1974 and 1982, Charter Trustees were elected to look after the civic interests of the Town. However, it quickly became apparent that the Town needed its own Council to look after its affairs and, after a long campaign, the Government acknowledged the case for a separate Town Council for the former Borough.
The Town Council was formed in 1982, meeting initially at Petters Way, then Preston Road and then Brympton Way. The Town House was acquired in 1989 and all meetings are now held in the Council Chamber at these premises.
In 2005, Yeovil Town Council became the first large council in Somerset to be awarded Quality Town Council status. Introduced by the Government as part of its modernising local government agenda, Quality status provides an independent assessment of local councils, and those with Quality status can be seen to be representative, competent, well managed, and able to take on an enhanced role.
Locally elected and locally funded, the Town Council provides Yeovil with a democratic structure, which serves the interests of the Town and is directly accountable to its people. Over the years, the activities and responsibilities of the Town Council have steadily grown. For more information, please use the navigation above, or email the Town Clerk.